Harry and racism: "I met prejudice with Meghan Markle"
In an online chat with GQ, the prince analyzes the problems linked to discrimination: "There are unconscious prejudices, I really understood them by putting myself in my wife's shoes"
Prince Harry goes back to talking about racism. He does so in a long online chat with Patrick Hutchinson, the anti-racist protester who last June - during the clashes in London - saved a right-wing extremist from being lynched by the crowd. "I'm honest, I didn't know what unconscious prejudices were until I met my wife," says the prince in the speech organized by Britsh GQ.
"Despite my education on the subject, I had no idea they existed," adds Harry, who later brings up Meghan Markle. «It took me years and years to realize it, it was fundamental to put myself in the shoes of my wife for a day or a week. And when you feel a little uncomfortable because you really understand the problem, then at that point it is up to you to train yourself, because ignorance can no longer be an excuse ".
The duke then shifts the focus on the coronavirus pandemic and the effects of the lockdown on people: "Everyone, in some form, has suffered from isolation in recent months. But for those who are truly alone, this situation risks being much more dramatic ”, explains the prince. "It is essential to include distractions in your life, even simply a walk that keeps you in shape, body and mind".
Among other things, already at the beginning of October, the month dedicated to the history of blacks ("Black History Month"), Harry had admitted that meeting Meghan had been fundamental for the true understanding of racism: "I thought I was knowledge of the problem, then I realized that it was not so. And it's not about pointing fingers and blaming, today we have to fight structural racism together. We have a unique opportunity ".
