Type Here to Get Search Results !

Jill Biden and running, the favorite sport of the new first lady of the United States

 Jill Biden and running, the favorite sport of the new first lady of the United States

Jill Biden and running, the favorite sport of the new first lady of the United States

The new first lady of the United States Jill Biden continues to go out for a run every day and actively participates in one of the most famous American races that helps in the fight against breast cancer.


Jill Biden has become the new first lady of the United States. Despite her new obligations in the White House and in her high school where she works, she will continue with one of her hobbies that helps her think and gain strength to start the day: running. Whenever she has time, Joe Biden's wife goes for a 5-mile run every day. Also, she is a runner that although she started running when she was 40 years old she has already managed to complete a marathon, several half marathons and 10K races. All of them with a beneficial reason.


Our colleagues from Runner's World US had the opportunity to speak with her back in 2010 before participating in a race. They chatted about her beginnings in her running, that she motivates him to train daily or if her husband accompanies him when she goes out for a run.


It was a charity run that got you started running, wasn't it?


I started running after Joe and I were asked to kick off the Komen Race for the Cure in the early 90's. After honking the horn, we ran to get everyone out of the way, and I was so breathless that I said, "I'm going to start running." My first race was around my neighborhood in Delaware - about two miles. Little by little I increased the distance until I got the running bug.


What did you like about running?


The feeling of freedom. I love running outside. It was a good feeling. I felt good about myself. I started when I was in my 40s, so I've been running for almost 20 years. And I've been pretty consistent with it. I mean, I've had things in my life where I had to slow down a little bit, but I've always been back to running.


How many Susan G. Komen races have you participated in?


I'm not sure of the exact number, but probably a handful. Over the years I have also completed several 5K, 10K and half marathon runs for other charities fighting cancer.


Why are you participating in the Komen race?


This year [2010] I am the career honorary president in Washington D.C. along with Joe. This is the second year in a row that we have done so, and we are honored to continue the tradition. On the eve of race day, Joe and I will host women who have beaten breast cancer to a special reception at our home. It is a very special event and it gives us the opportunity to spend time with them and their loved ones before the race. We are very excited.


In addition to her work with Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure, she has been very involved in breast cancer awareness. Why is it such an important topic to you?


In the early 90's, I had several friends who suffered from breast cancer. One died. I felt like I had to do something, and I couldn't sit idly by. As an educator, I thought that maybe I could do something in the field of education. So I started the Biden Initiative for Breast Health, and I have health professionals go to the institutes in Delaware and we talk about good health practices, breast self-exam, and early detection to students. Thus, it not only creates awareness for them, but they take that message home, to their mothers and grandmothers, and a dialogue begins. We have reached over 10,000 young women.


What is typical in a daily workout of yours? Where do you usually run and how many kilometers?


Well, my goal is to run eight kilometers at a slow pace five days a week. But between the responsibilities of teaching and administration, I just barely make it. For example, this morning I had a breast cancer event here [at the Vice President's Residence at the United States Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C.] during breakfast. I knew I was short on time, so I did a little over four miles on the treadmill. I try to adapt my training to where I am - it could be in another city or country - so it often depends on what I'm doing. I also try to incorporate a little weight training, because I think it is very good for the bones. That is my basic training.


How does your training change when you are preparing for a race, like now?


When I've done races, I've been quite disciplined in setting up a training plan for myself and then following that plan on a daily basis. This is how I prepared for the 1998 Marine Corps Marathon, which is the only one I have ever done. I have done several half marathons and 10K races. In the next two months, I would like to train for the Army 10-mile race [in Washington, D.C.].


You're very close to the race, early June, so what's your goal now? Are you still doing five miles or are you trying to increase the mileage?


Usually, due to the weather, I cannot exceed five miles; sometimes I can do six or seven, and other times only three. Because, you know, my days are pretty busy, so I have to run in the morning or when I have time, and also I have to factor in the time to come home, shower, change and read my reports for the event I have. . I have to take into account all those things.


What is your best time?


My best time was my only time [the Marine Corps Marathon]. I finished at 4:30:32. My goal was 4:30, so I think I met it and was delighted. I have to say that it was one of the best moments of my life. I saw my family at various points along the way. And I tell you that at the end of the race, I felt like I could run another eight kilometers. My adrenaline was through the roof.


Would you consider running another marathon?


I always said that I only wanted to do a marathon, but I have also learned not to say never.


And now you run with the Secret Service?


Yeah right. That's another big change in my life now: I usually have someone in front of me and someone behind me. But they have behaved very well. I just tell them, "I have to pretend you're not here," because I love running alone, and they are very respectful of that.


Does the Secret Service drive or do they really run?


No, these guys are runners. I mean, these guys are in shape, and they're good runners.


He said that he loved to run alone. Why? Is it because you use that time to think or meditate?



I think running creates a sense of balance in my life. And it reassures me a lot. It's a great feeling to go out and lose myself in a race. I think that's why I keep running because, as you know, once you get it, you long for that time for yourself.


I take it you don't exercise with your husband?


Sometimes Joe runs with me, but he's not a regular runner. He is an athlete and he exercises a lot. For example, last night I was playing soccer in the front yard with our granddaughter, who loves to play soccer. So he likes to do a lot of sports, but I think once you run, you really keep running.


But I heard that he runs with some of his employees.


A lot of people on my team run, so that's fine. If we have time and we are in another city, we go for a run.


Obviously, this is a very fit administration. Is it a motivation? The President and the First Lady [Barack and Michelle Obama] are known for it. Have you ever run with them?


I love what Michelle is doing with "Let's Move". Let's face it, we really needed something like this in this country to fight childhood obesity. I see Michelle at events or we pass each other on the way to meetings, but life is a little too hectic. It would be great, but the reality is that we have not had time to do it.


Do you feel more pressure to perform well as a runner now that everyone knows you?


Well, when I go for a run, people don't recognize me, which is great. I don't feel pressured; I don't want to beat anyone or do a certain time. I only do it to enjoy. I do it for myself.


How do you find time to run?


Well, I definitely make it a priority. It is not always possible, but in my office they know that it is the first thing on the list. It is really an important part of my life, and I try to be quite faithful to it.


Do you have a favorite outfit for training?


I don't have a workout clothes. The usual, you know, black pants and a T-shirt.


Do you listen to music while running?


Oh yes, I hear it.


May I ask what music is on your iPod?


What's on my iPod? Well, Bruce Springsteen certainly. [Biden was born in New Jersey.] I don't know what else. My kids are runners, by the way. I have two sons, a daughter and two daughters-in-law, and they are triathletes, my two sons and their wives. So if you hear something good, why do you always say to me, "Oh, Mom, let me put this on your iPod."

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.

Below Post Ad