Miley Cyrus does not regret that controversial cover of Vanity Fair
"F ***** e", she said about the photos of Annie Leibovitz that caused a lot of controversy
Miley being Miley, once again.
Miley Cyrus can only regret one thing: Having regretted it.
In 2008, Annie Leibovitz photographed then-15-year-old Miley for the cover of Vanity Fair. One of the images showed the protagonist of Hannah Montana almost topless, barely covered by a sheet. Also, in another image, the singer appeared curled up on the lap of her father, Billy Ray Cyrus, which sparked a series of critics who described the session as "inappropriate".
Ten years after this controversial moment, Miley criticized The New York Post for having published the sensational headline "MILEY'S SHAME" with "I DON'T REGRET IT, FUCKING...".
10 years ago, before the photos were published, Miley didn't seem so worried about the possibility of generating controversy. "I mean, I have a big blanket on me, and I was like, 'This looks really nice, really natural,'" she told the magazine. "I think it's really artistic." Later, due to pressure, Miley was forced to make a public apology for having done this.
"My goal with my music and acting is to make people happy. On Vanity Fair, I was very honored and excited to work with Annie. I did my part in the shoot, which was supposed to be 'artsy' and now, seeing the photos and reading the story, I feel ashamed," she added. "My intention was never this would happen and I apologize to my fans, who I care too much about."
In a separate statement, Leibovitz said, "I'm so sorry Miley's portrait was misunderstood. Miley and I reviewed the photos and discussed the photo before taking it... A simple, classic portrait... I think it's beautiful." .
IM NOT SORRY
— Miley Ray Cyrus (@MileyCyrus) April 29, 2018
Fuck YOU #10yearsago pic.twitter.com/YTJmPHKwLX
At the time Hannah Montana was one of the most popular – and prolific – shows on the Disney Channel. A spokesperson for the channel said "Unfortunately, as the article suggests, it was a situation created to deliberately manipulate a 15-year-old girl in order to sell magazines." A representative of the magazine, meanwhile, stated that "Miley's parents, or mentors, were present all day...".
Shortly afterward, Billy Ray shared his impressions of it on the Today show: "I felt like everything was under control," he said. "Her publicist of hers was there...I didn't know she would be stripped na***ed and covered with a sheet." He said he was "surprised" by the session, "but things happen, that's life." The also singer added that he never spoke with Miley about the controversial session after the rain of criticism, and quoted a phrase from his father: "The more you step on c ***, the more it sucks."
As for the photo he took with her daughter, he laughed and told Meredith Vieira: "I'm sorry if I offended anyone. He's just a dad who loves her daughter very much."
The last time Miley addressed the scandalous shoot was in 2015. "Our world revolves around sex. When I did this photo shoot with Annie Leibovitz I was 14 or 15, everyone jumped that it was sexual. But I never thought about it." "Annie never thought about taking a sexual photo of a teenager," she told TIME, "but they all did something that wasn't."