Famous Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie underwent preventative ovarian and fallopian tube removal surgery last week to reduce the chance of cancer, a disease that killed her mother, grandmother and aunt. .
As she did with the double mastectomy -removal of both breasts- to which she underwent two years ago, the 39-year-old actress explained the reasons for her decision in an opinion column published this Tuesday in The New York Times so that " other women at risk know what options are out there.
According to Jolie, ovary removal is "less complex than mastectomy" but has "more severe" effects, such as putting women into a "forced menopause."
"Regardless of the hormone replacements I'm taking, I'm in menopause. I won't be able to have any more children and I'm expecting some physical changes. But I'm cool with whatever comes; not because I'm strong, but because it's part of life. It's not something to what to fear," says the actress, who assures that she made the decision after analyzing the different options with several doctors and taking into account her family's medical history.
"It is not easy to make these types of decisions. But it is possible to take control and tackle any health issue head-on. You can ask for advice, learn about the different options and choose what is best for you. Knowledge is power," concludes the actress.
