Lili Reinhart has confessed why she decided to do underwear scenes in Riverdale despite feeling very uncomfortable with her body.
Riverdale star Lili Reinhart is no stranger to speaking her mind. In the past few months alone, she has been open and honest with fans about her sexuality, her mental health, and her body image.
In February, Lili wrote a lengthy response to a fan who criticized Riverdale and its cast for "contributing to unrealistic body standards" for young people.
"Actually, not everyone on this show is perfectly chiseled," she said in a tweet. "And even I am intimidated by my co-stars' physicality sometimes when I have to do bra/underwear scenes."
"I have bigger breasts, I have cellulite on my thighs/buttocks, and my stomach sticks out instead of curving," Lili wrote. "This is still something I struggle with on a daily basis. And it doesn't help when I'm compared to other women."
The 23-year-old actress added: "I've gained weight due to depression in the last two months and I've felt very insecure about it. But I did a recent bra and underwear scene and I felt it was my obligation to be strong and show self-confidence, looking like I do."
Lili later said that she had received comments in response to her thread that invalidated her feelings and insecurities because she "is still skinny, sexy, and rich."
"Imagine telling someone that her feelings are irrelevant and that she should be quiet based on what she finds acceptable or not," she wrote on her Instagram story at the time. "I can't relate."
Lili Reinhart and the body positive
Now, in a new interview with the Los Angeles Times, Lili has opened up more about the situation, explaining that she "felt really insecure" about doing underwear scenes in Riverdale, but didn't tell anyone.
"I don't have the body of a CW girl: small waist, nice legs, skinny, small, tiny," Lili said. "I had to do a bra and underwear scene this last season and I felt really insecure about it. I really, really didn't want to do it."
She went on to say that while she didn't feel pressured to do the scene, she did it because it was her job, but it made her feel bad about herself.
