S+x scenes are part of the career for many actors, but that doesn't mean they're an enjoyable experience.
For Kirsten Dunst, they are an ordeal. The American actress has said that she felt uncomfortable filming intim+te scenes in her most recent film, The Beguiled (2017), directed by Sofia Coppola.
"I'm on the ground and my clothes are ripped," Dunst told E! News.
The 34-year-old actress said that she did not feel comfortable filming scenes like these:
I don't like it, I don't like it. To be honest, I only think that you have to do those kinds of scenes as quickly as possible.
Despite this, Dunst, who rose to worldwide fame for her portrayal of Mary Jane Watson in the Spider-Man trilogy, praised the film's director, Sofia Coppola, for being sensitive during filming. She explained that while male directors want to "shoot from all angles and repeat scenes," Coppola took a different approach.
At the very least, Sofia says, "We're going to do this quick, we're going to shoot from here, and we're going to do just three takes."
She also acknowledged that her partner, Colin Farrell, went to great lengths to be extremely sensitive and careful while filming the s+x scenes. Regarding the subject, the actor declared:
It is more difficult for women. And women in the history of cinema have been exploited the most, of course, through the media; s+xuality has been dominated by men. I really think that, in these kinds of scenes, the woman should be the boss, so that she can have what she needs to feel comfortable and that she can have the freedom to do her job.
The Beguiled, a civil war drama based on the novel by Thomas Cullinan, will be released in the US and UK on June 23 this year.
