Kate Winslet is expressing regret for some of the choices she’s made over the course of her career.
The Oscar winner, 42, most recently starred in Woody Allen‘s last movie Wonder Wheel. When previously asked about the controversy surrounding the director, Winslet chose to side-step the questions. Allen, 82, been repeatedly accused by his daughter Dylan Farrow of child molestation.
In a carefully worded acceptance speech at the London Critics’ Circle awards on Sunday, the actress never mentioned either Allen or frequent collaborator Harvey Weinstein by name, but emotionally expressed regret about some of the people she has chosen to work with.
“I wouldn’t be able to stand here this evening, and keep to myself some bitter regrets that I have at poor decisions to work with individuals with whom I wish I had not,” Winslet said with a shaky voice before asking for a second to turn around and collect herself.
She continued after a brief moment, “It has become clear to me that by not saying anything, I might be adding to the anguish of many courageous women and men. Sexual abuse is a crime. While it rests with the rule of law to pass judgment, it lies with all of us to listen to the smallest of voices and to never stop listening.”
