When Bradby asked her how she was handling everything, Markle thanked him for asking and admitted that not many people had inquired about her wellbeing.
Bradby then asked if it would be fair to say that things had not been going well, to which Markle quickly replied, "Yes." This moment resonated with me deeply because, although I have never been a member of the royal family or dealt with the scrutiny of the tabloids, I have experienced similar struggles during my own motherhood journey.
Being a new mom is tough, regardless of whether or not you are in the public eye. In addition to the physical toll of pregnancy and childbirth, new moms face a barrage of expectations about how they should care for their child and what kind of mother they should be. Social media can exacerbate these pressures by presenting an idealized image of motherhood that is not always realistic.
When I became a mother for the first time, people often asked me if I loved being a mom or if I was in love with my baby. While I always answered in the affirmative, internally I struggled with a more complex narrative. I loved my child, but I also felt like I was losing a part of my identity. I adored my son, but I didn't always feel 100% bonded with him every hour of every day. It takes time to adjust to the demands of motherhood, and it's okay not to feel okay during this transition.
Markle's interview has sparked a crucial conversation about the mental health of new mothers. As a society, we don't always ask new moms if they're okay, and when we do, we don't always listen to the real answer.
It's time to change that. We need to let new moms know that it's okay not to be okay, and that motherhood does get easier over time. We also need to find ways to support new moms and help lighten their loads as they do the important work of raising the next generation.
Sometimes, a simple chat with a friend, a walk with a partner, or a cup of coffee can make all the difference. Let's all take the time to show new moms that we care and that we're here to help.
