The Bigg Chill, the shop in question, responded on its Instagram account, pointing out that it offered sugar-free and gluten-free products for those with dietary restrictions.
On Monday, Lovato admitted that she "jumped to conclusions" and that she shouldn't have called out the store the way she did. She also wished that the labeling of different dietary options had been more specific.
Lovato has been open about her struggles with eating disorders and addiction, and she said that she planned to call out any business that "not only enables but praises disordered eating." She suggested that The Bigg Chill label the options as being for people with specific needs.
The back and forth went viral, with many on social media siding with The Bigg Chill. In a statement to HuffPost, The Bigg Chill said it has always tried to have options for all customers.
Lovato apologized for getting the messaging wrong and said that she'd be willing to work with The Bigg Chill to change the shop's messaging.
"I'm human, and I talk about my struggles. And I'm passionate, so I'm sorry that I got the messaging wrong," Lovato said in her Instagram post. She added that she's sorry that she may have disappointed some people, but she's not coming after a small business as someone with a lot of followers.
