Robbie, 32, shared her experience during the filming of Greta Gerwig's movie, where she portrays the iconic fashion doll Barbie alongside Ryan Gosling, who plays Ken, Barbie's boyfriend. The film is set to be released on July 21, 2023.
In late June, paparazzi captured photos of Robbie and Gosling in full neon leotards on the set in Los Angeles. These images quickly spread across various platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and major newspapers, leaving Robbie feeling humiliated.
During an interview on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Robbie jokingly expressed her mortification when Fallon presented one of the set photos to the audience. She explained, "We look like we're laughing and having fun, but we're dying on the inside. Dying. I was like, this is the most humiliating moment of my life."
When asked if she anticipated the immense internet buzz surrounding the "Barbie" set photos, Robbie admitted, "No! I mean, I knew we had some exterior shots to film in LA. I knew that when shooting outdoors, we would attract attention and possibly get photographed.
We stand out a little bit in those outfits, so I expected some attention and maybe a few photos to leak, but not to this extent." Robbie further described the situation, saying, "It was crazy. There were hundreds of people watching all the time."
The images captured Robbie and Gosling wearing neon yellow rollerblades and knee pads. Robbie stood out in a multicolored unitard, while Gosling sported a gilet and shorts.
