TV presenter Lizzie Cundy, once a close companion of Meghan Markle, has voiced her disappointment with the couple's portrayal of their charitable endeavors. In an interview with the Daily Star, Cundy expressed her belief that Prince Harry and Meghan are straying from the authentic purpose of their philanthropic work by turning it into a publicity endeavor.
Cundy, who established a friendship with the former Suits actress back in 2013 after they connected at a charity dinner, shared her candid views. Referring to the high-profile wedding of Meghan and Harry that took place at Saint George's Chapel in Windsor three years after their initial meeting, Cundy said, "Look, I'm going to be honest about Meghan and Harry. I knew Meghan before her relationship with Harry."
While she acknowledges the merit of the couple's charitable initiatives, Cundy finds it regrettable that their noble efforts are often accompanied by a camera crew. She remarked, "I think it's wonderful that they are engaged in charity work, but I can't help feeling it's somewhat diminished by the constant presence of the camera crew. It's a shame to see their acts of kindness turned into a spectacle."
Furthermore, Cundy openly labeled the Netflix docuseries "Harry & Meghan" as a "publicity stunt." She appealed to the couple to strike a balance by engaging in meaningful charitable endeavors without constantly capturing it for the public eye.
"Why do they feel the need to do it this way? I believe there's value in doing good deeds without the anticipation of applause," she continued. With concern, she mentioned the noticeable absence of public appearances by the couple, suggesting that their recent actions could be viewed as a calculated attempt to regain attention.
Drawing on the wisdom of music mogul Simon Cowell, Cundy recommended a return to authenticity. "Simon Cowell always tells me, 'Stay genuine, because the audience can always sense the truth.' In the same vein, I believe people are now seeing through Meghan's actions," she concluded.
